Fifty thoughts I had while watching Elvis, the movie...
1. My father freaked out when he heard "All Shook Up" and saw the gyrations
2. So did I...
3. Couldn’t quite keep up with Baz Luhrmann’s editing choices – same kinetic musical madness as Moulin Rouge
4. Austin Butler, the unknown, flawless as Elvis
5. Dad took away my pink GE clock radio for playing "Hound Dog" too loud
6. "Love Me Tender" best slow dance music ever
7. Will Justin Bieber and Harry Styles have the everlasting effect Elvis still has?
8. Why the capes? Superhero stuff from his love of Captain Marvel comics maybe...
9. Oh how he loved his momma; Vernon failed him in many ways
10. Tom Hanks played an evil dude with fervor
11. Sun Records provided the soundtrack of my teens – Chuck Berry, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, and Elvis
12. Dad didn’t approve of any of those oldies but goodies either
13. How naïve can one mega-star be?
14. Elvis’ spirituals comfort me
15. Black spirituals and gospel, his inspirations, amazing Pentecostal shudder scene in the movie
16. About Tom Hanks sharpened nose job...
17. “That’s alright Mama…”– what a way to begin. Thanks Sam Phillips
18. Radio used to be brilliant
19. Wow – the dancin' black woman in the sexy red dress!
20. What a shame. What a waste of a life.
21. What wonder and joy he afforded my life then and now
22. The few dance moves I have, I learned from him
23. I never did my Elvis moves around my dad
24. I forgot how much I loved bell bottoms
25. The fifties really were incredible. Simpler and wonderful-er.
26. My brother talked like Elvis and looked a little like Buddy Holly
27. “Poke Salad Annie” by Elvis best version for sure!
28. Payola days were crazy
29. Little Richard - first 45 I purchased. "Tutti Frutti."
30. Dad really hated that one.
31. Sweet Priscilla and Lisa – what must they think
32. Austin Butler sizzles as he stares down the lens and melts it just like the King did
33. Super Bowl-sized diamond rings
34. I had those aviator glasses
35. Sitting on the L of the Hollywood sign – bucket list
36. OMG – that pink-pegged suit
37. Jazmine Sullivan’s rendition of “Motherless Child” stunning!
38. Was the sweaty, seductive soul singer ever satisfied
39. I love the blues. B.B. King, Odetta et al
40. Vegas dazzles. Extravagant glitz. Road trip
41. Elvis masterfully manipulated the mike better than anyone til Obama
42. My brother joined the army and went to Germany because of Elvis
43. All Elvis’ costumes exaggerated the wiggle
44. All mainstream TV wanted to eliminate the wiggle
45. So did my dad
46. I’d regret it if I hadn’t seen the movie
47. I rushed home and downloaded the soundtrack. Yola rocked as Sister Rosetta.
48. Title should have been Col. Parker Scumbag
49. A movie’s a nice way to stay cool. So is an art museum
50. “Are You Lonesome Tonight” still makes me weak in the knees.